Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Turnaround Season?


by John Don

With the Fighting Irish just 37 days away from taking the field for the first time in the 2009 season, anticipation and excitement for the opening kick-off are increasing each and every day. Although I do consider myself a Charlie Weis supporter and I am glad we brought him back for a fifth season, I certainly have my reservations in declaring that this team is ready to take the next step.

The national media loves pointing out our weak schedule, and there is no doubt the schedule is weak with traditionally strong teams like Michigan, Purdue, and Washington all expected to struggle again this year. Yet each discussion seems to center around whether or not Jimmy Clausen and Co. can make a return to BCS contention for the first time since the Brady Quinn era. [On a side note, I love that people now mention the "Brady Quinn Era" as if he was coached by Frank Leahy... it was three years ago no the mid-2oth century.]

These BCS discussions terrify me because it raises expectations for a team that has continuously struggled; I don't think it's realistic for a team that has won just 10 regular season games that past two seasons to pull out at least ten this year. Let me clarify what I mean: I think it is very reasonable for Notre Dame alumni, fans, and the team itself to have high expectations for the 2009 football season. Everyone has their own opinion on the warmth of Charlie's seat but most admit that if he doesn't win at least 8-9 games this year he'll be updating his resume. But I don't like the ESPN talking heads having such high expectations for a team that has done, quite frankly, nothing.

One blowout win against a decent (at best) Hawaii team and all of the sudden we're expected to be in the Top 8? I think that's a bit of a stretch. And while I know that the players are working hard and no doubt want to succeed, they are 18-21 year old children (yea, I look down on them now) and it's hard not to read your own press clippings. How many times does this team hear how soft their schedule is before their focus gets diminished and we lose to an opponent that we have no business losing to.

Here's hoping Charlie can rely on his veteran players to maintain the focus necessary to keep all of us happy in 2009. I'm sick of ruining my weekends every Saturday afternoon...

No comments:

Post a Comment