Monday, October 5, 2009

What Just Happened

I found myself asking this question nonstop while watching the Irish squeak out a 37-30 victory on Saturday over Washington. The game displayed all facets of offense and defense; the good, the bad, and especially the ugly. Furthermore, there were so many individual plays that left me clueless. It was an instant classic, for arguably all the wrong reasons.

Here are the five most ridiculous plays from Saturday:


5. HOW FAR CAN YOU GO

At the end of the 3rd quarter, the Irish capped off a 93 yard scoring drive with a field goal. I didn't even know that was possible. To make matters worse, the statistics indicate the Irish accumulated 117 yards on that one drive! Can someone please tell me how did we not score a touchdown?


4. #1 FANTASY PICK-UP

Freshman kicker Nick Tausch booted FIVE field goals on the day! FIVE! With a performance like that, lets hope the days of losing to Syracuse on a missed field goal are over. While I love putting points on the board, I would much rather score TDs. The Irish drives resulting in field goals were 49, 58, 72, 76, and 93 yards. Convert those to TDs and the Irish would have put up 50 points in regulation.


3. THE BULLDOZER

Junior running back Robert Hughes could easily be credited with the play of the game. Not only did Hughes rush for 70 yards and the game winning TD, but the 2-point conversion run was by far the most impressive. As soon as Hughes ran smack into the back of O-Line, I turned to my dad sitting next to me and rattled off a slew of curse words. Yet, by the time I turned back to the action, Hughes was in the end zone (or was he?) and celebrating.


2. THE FORWARD PASS

Irish signal caller Jimmy Clausen almost threw away his Heisman hopes with one pass. What the hell was he thinking! It was the most idiotic play I have seen in a a few years (since maybe where's the ball John Ryan, 2007 - that's for you OC). Somehow, Clausen's atrocious turnover was swept under the rug and trampled on by another dramatic finish. Or maybe it was his stat line: 23-31 for 422 yards and 2 TDs - 1INT (catch the ball Allen!!!!).


1. THE BALL STOPS HERE

Heading into the game, the Irish had proven they couldn't stop anyone (except Nevada who coincidentally put up 779 yards of offense Saturday). Following an opening drive TD for Washington, I knew it was going to be a long day for the defense. But who knew they would stop the Huskies on 10 possessions from inside the 5 yard line!! It was a new side of this defense I was stoked to see! It's what ultimately won the game for the Irish. Had Washington gone up two scores, I would have doubted an Irish comeback.


Bottom line, while it didn't appear the Irish deserved to win, they did. And I would rather win ugly than lose pretty any day of the week. And there were a few things I learned; Weis will always take the points. Our offense can move the ball at will. I am glad for the bye week, as I can rest my heart as there is no end in sight for dramatic finishes, and our next game just might be the most dramatic of the year.


OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE GAME: Golden "Fair Catch" Tate (thanks Rabes)

As an all-around weapon for the Irish, Tate alone turned small passes into big gains. He racked up 244 yards and a TD on nine catches! What I love best was his desire to get into the endzone. He broke two tackles to score a TD and attempted a five yard dive to the end zone in OT. But with the way the Irish offense was settling for FGs, I don't blame him.


DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE GAME: Defensive Front Seven

The defense was terrible between the 20s, but they played with the bend, not break mentality. Give credit to the defensive line lead the charge in those goal lines stands. T'eo was all over the field making tackles in his first start. Outside of the roughing the snapper (didn't know that was a penalty) call, the Irish played a smart game, though they gave up 457 yards of offense.


-DH

No comments:

Post a Comment