Friday, September 7, 2012

Week 2 Outlook

Let us start Week 2 with an apology for missing our Week 1 preview.  We could always go back and add it, and while it might be extremely accurate, it would probably not be of much value, now.  So, let’s just go ahead and sink our teeth into what should be a juicy week 2.
Anyone who read our preseason poll articles is aware that Ohio was our highest-rated non-BCS team.  So, the “upset”, of Penn State over the weekend, should not come as much of a surprise.  Also, in our response to comments on our blog, we did pick Alabama to win over Michigan, despite ranking the Wolverines higher, which is a result of a down year in the B1G.  Florida, Virginia Tech, and Michigan State all looked shaky in wins; however, the only other NDftB Preseason Top 25 team to lose was our No. 22 team, Vanderbilt.  The ‘Dores dropped a close one to our preseason No. 34 team, South Carolina.  I expect Vandy to bounce back in a big way at Northwestern tomorrow. 
There are two matchups this week with big implications on our preseason poll:  Georgia (our title pick) at Missouri and UCF at Ohio State.  To say I’m a little nervous about our title favorite this weekend, is like saying I’d be a little happy to win the lottery.  Mizzou fans have touted this as the biggest game in Missouri football history.  That alone, scares me.  Add to that, that I think Missouri is an extremely talented and underrated football team, and this could spell disaster for UGA.  I will not go so far, to pick the Tigers3 , but I’d be shocked if this one does not go to the wire. 
I do think the Buckeyes should be worried, however.  Central Florida probably does not inspire opponents as much as an SEC foe would, but Ohio State could meet the same outcome if they do not take this game seriously.  Again, I’ll shy away from picking the upset, but I do like the Golden Knights to cover. 
As for our beloved Irish, I could not be happier with the opening game against the perennially under-valued and under-appreciated Midshipmen.  Golson looked good for a first-time starter, the lines were dominant, and no one was injured.  It was an overall great day for the Irish.  I think we will start to come back down to earth against the Boilermakers.  Purdue will be improved from the team the Irish trounced a year ago.  I do not think they are capable of an upset, but I expect an ugly game from over-confident Notre Dame team.  Final verdict, ND wins by less than two TDs. 
Week 2 Upset Picks:
To Win:
South Florida at Nevada
Illinois at Arizona State
Kent State at Kentucky
To Cover:
UCF +18.5 at Ohio State
Utah State +7 over Utah
UTEP +8.5 at Ole Miss
Louisiana Monroe +30.5 at Arkansas

No comments:

Post a Comment