Thursday, September 24, 2009

Purdue Fans

By CI

Purdue Fans are some of the most bitter I’ve ever come by. Maybe its just an ND hatred for them (Little Brother-itis). But I don’t think so, as I’ve heard that other schools’ fans have similar negative responses to Purdue fans. While there is a small list of teams I fundamentally hate, the fan bases of those particular teams tend to be quite respectful and classy. Purdue is not on that list.

Maybe I’m hating the wrong people? Maybe Purdue should be the team I really hate? Na, because why let the fly of Purdue agitate the elepahant that is Notre Dame football.

But what drives the bitterness from the Purdue people towards ND. Is it because we are both in Indiana? Is it because of ND’s unique place in college football?

Here are my top 5 reasons Purdue fans are bitter towards ND fans:

1. Lack of Football Success: 1929 was the last outright conference championship season for the boilermakers. So, a great stat for those of you traveling down (or up) to West Lafayette may be that Notre Dame and Purdue have the same number of outright conference titles in the past 80 years. To their credit, Purdon’t has earned a share of the title 8 times…but only once more than the University of Chicago, who exited the Big Ten in 1939 and last won an outright Big Ten title in 1924. By the way, Purdue’s lone outright championship pales in comparison to the University of Chicago’s 6 outright Big Ten titles.

2. Depressing Demographics: The largest college major at Purdue is engineering. I’ll speak from my enginerd experience and tell you that thousands of engineers pooled together usually don’t make for much fun and excitement. Additionally, Purdue is only 41.2% women. It doesn’t hurt to have a girls school across the street from ND. These demographics factors would alone make me bitter to ND fans. Finally, most of the students are from Indiana…I’ll just leave it at that.

3. Terrible Rivalry: These guys are stuck being rivals to IU. Even though they dominate this rivalry, it is pathetic to get built up for IU, the shithouse of the Big Ten.

4. Lack of fan Interest: Having lived in West Lafayette for a summer, I can confirm that students at Purdue just don’t care about football games. They go to drink, pass out, wake up, and they harass young fans from the visiting team. Their entertainment lies not in watching the winning 40 yard field goal rise through the uprights as the clocks ticks to zero, but rather in cursing at visiting fans in order to show off their drunken sailor mouths that their mother’s never washed out with soap. These fans are terrible, and their lack of football knowledge and interest doesn’t help their case. I think Purdue fans may just be bitter about a fan base who actually cares about the status of their schools football team.

5. Shitty Stadium: Ross-Ade Stadium is probably the worst stadium I’ve ever been to for a school that would claim itself a major football program. If felt like a glorified high school game, but with less enthusiastic fans. The only nice part is how the visiting fans can easily make as much noise as the Purdue fans, making this a very unintimidating place for ND to play this week. Moreover, that big stupid drum you get to see while visiting Ross-Ade is claimed to be the biggest in the world. I think they are safe with the record, as I can’t think of anyone else who would want to build a bigger, stupider drum than Purdue’s.

So…enough of me ranting about Purdue’s classless fans. On a side note, Mr. Louis Leo Holtz has been participating in political commentary on Sean Hannity’s “Great American Panel”. While I love hearing Lou, I never want to again be subjected to hearing his commentary on global warming. I’m just not sure his credentials are there. Then again, his credentials are likely as good as Al Gore’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment