Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Stray Bullets

What’s up, bloggers? Although I’m not blogging via the free wi-fi of Panera this week, I still get a weird feeling when I click “Post Blog” that I suddenly don’t like girls. Alright, inhibitions aside, I have to say it’s been an awesome 3 weeks of college football….

Notre Dame is 2-1, with the loss to now-#23 Michigan. To say the offense was “clicking” would be an understatement. They are playing a lot better than even I expected. The injury to my man Mike Floyd will hurt, but let’s see how much confidence ole Weis has in that bench. The defense has given up 38 and 30 points the past two weeks to the state colleges of Michigan, and in the process lost to a punk, but talented, 19-year old. The special teams have not looked so good. Kickoff return for a touchdown, missed field goal (acceptable), missed extra point (unacceptable), and an onside kick recovered against us. The intangibles have not looked so good either. Many thoughtless penalties and lacks of concentration have taken their toll, and that falls on the coach. In short, it seems that the rest of the team (including Weis as a “head coach”) will constantly be trying to catch up to the offense throughout the season. Let’s hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Case of the Mondayyyys
Until proven otherwise, I will uphold that this is the best commercial out there right now. ESPN, you’ve done it again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1W7FNnyOfg

VT Showin’ No Love for the Irish

At the Virginia Tech-Nebraska game this past weekend at Lane Stadium, when that final whistle blew, I ran inside and caught the end of the ND-MSU game. A Virginia Tech fan walks in and yells, “Let’s go Michigan!” Of course, it was Michigan State. Showing little fanhood for either team, the man would proceed to refer to them as “Michigan” for the remainder of the game. “I have two favorite teams,” he continued. “Virginia Tech and anyone playing Notre Dame.”

I’m always curious to hear the reasons why so many people hate Notre Dame, so I asked him why. He turned to me in a hurry, anxious to describe his position. Putting out three fingers and touching his fore finger first, he proclaimed, “They took Tech’s spot in the BCS three years ago and got killed! The BCS gives them an automatic bid! The Big East gives them their bids to bowls…”
While all I wanted to do was tell him how stupid that argument was, I held back in an effort to sway him to the ND side. “How is that Notre Dame’s fault?” I asked, mild-mannered. “Are you telling me Tech wouldn’t take that deal?”
“Tech wasn’t asked!”
“That’s not Notre Dame’s fault. You should really be mad at the BCS or Big East conference.”

These Notre Dame haters continually blame the team and not the system. I agree ND gets preferential treatment, but that’s not their fault…if anything it’s their luxury. They got a good deal, and they took it. 118 other teams would do the same thing – it only makes sense.

This Tech fans reasoning had no logic whatsoever, but in an attempt to lessen his hatred for ND, I restrained myself from bringing his stupidity to light. His point bordered simply on jealousy. Our team got in, his team didn’t. I get it. I analogize it to the following:

You’re a high school boy, like Tate Forcier last year. You really want to go to prom with this girl. She’s one of the 5 hottest girls in the school. Well, she ends up asking another guy to prom. He’s probably smarter and he’s a whole lot more popular. Because of this, you end up hating this guy. High school analogy, middle school logic. This 55-year old man needs to grow up.

On a lighter note, there’s a great clip of Beamer, Holly Rowe, and the crazy Tech fans after the Nebraska game. (I never thought I would mention “great clip” and “Holly Rowe” in the same sentence) Watch how angry Frank gets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZWWvcRNtaI

Gotta Groh

Al Groh’s UVA squad is 0-3 and they are miserable to watch. Don’t just take my word for it, even their mascot tried to end the misery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6TkO2v_jCA

What was even funnier to me was one of the YouTube comments regarding the fall. It was made by one of the bouncing (see video) members of the UVA band who simply goes by the name “PinkSpaceHippy.” It follows:

“I'm a member of the marching band, and so I've actually been able to talk to "Cav Man", and was down there when it happened.

He didn't fall off. Seriously, he's been playing polo over 20 years.

The horse spooked. That was a new horse that is still getting used to crowds and all the noise, and something spooked him and cause him to just stop in his tracks.

"Sabre" didn't throw him, just the laws of physics say that just because horse stops doesn't mean you stop with it.”

Wow.

rabes

No comments:

Post a Comment